Now privately owned, Glenlyon House was formally the home of Robert Glenlyon, the infamous Campbell chief responsible for the massacre of the MacDonalds at Glencoe. There has been a house at this location since as early as 1200 although the current house dates from around 1675.
In the Victorian era the house was owned by Sir Donald Currie of the Currie shipping line whose name is immortalised in the Currie Cup – the South African rugby trophy. Sir Donald Currie, who was also the local MP, commissioned James MacLaren, the famous Arts and Crafts architect, to remodel the home and estate buildings. They remain a fine example of that period today. The houses gardens are available to view by appointment, through the Scotlands Gardens charity.